View Single Post
Old 11-07-07, 08:35 AM
nmanhipot

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Air
I was a big believer in Slime tubes until I got a nasty puncture and got slime on EVERYTHING. Plus I could not patch it afterwards - it let me ride one mile before going flat. I only carry them as a spare now only because I already have them and not because I see the value in them. My $0.02

And 10,000 per year? Damn that's awesome!
Well, I'm shooting for 10,000. The last couple of months, I've been averaging over that, but it's hard to pull it off for the whole year. You get the idea.

My first experience with slimed tubes was not a good one. 23 hours after puchase and installation the sucker went flat in 10 seconds, spewing "alien goo" all the way through to the tire. It was a fairly small puncture, smaller than the 1/8" they claim to be able to plug, but it was to no avail. I bought two and we'll see if the other one lasts any longer. I replaced the rear tire, also - I flatted the other day. Two flats inside a week means to me that my tire is too thin.

I never patch tires. I had to the other night in an emergency situation when I broke the valve on my presta-tube inflating it with the hand-pump, but the tire was flat again in the morning. I learned my lesson on patching tubes when I got pwned by one during a time trial. I'm just glad I was close to the start/finish and was able to limp back instead of walking nine miles.