View Single Post
Old 11-07-07, 08:48 AM
nmanhipot

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Langster Comp, 2005 Schwinn DBX Super Sport, 2004 Trek 5900 Superlight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deanster04
Don't think Aerodynamics is a consideration in commuting but the Velocity is pretty strong. Another rim to consider is the DT Swiss RR1.1 with the double eyelet. I would go 36H 3X for your commuting wheels. I ride a cross bike with 36H 4X Mavic Open Pro on campy hubs and haven't broken a spoke in 8K miles almost all off road with plenty of rough spots. 3X would have been better because of small flanged hubs.
That's a great run on those wheels! I've also seen the DT 2.1's, but they only come in 32-hole versions.

I bought a set of Mavic Open Pro's machine built with ultegra hubs in 2005. They developed several stress fractures emanating from the eyelets after one year of commuting. I also broke a spoke or two on that set, as well. It makes me so angry. I was under 210 most of that year and Georgia has good road surfaces. I just don't understand why I kill so many wheels. I know I'm a pedal masher, but the worst thing I ever do is ride over a few pot-holes when I can't merge into the lane because of the cars. I know people that have never broken a spoke and I've broken almost two dozen on eight different wheel sets since 2004. I'm beginning to think I need downhilll wheels.

I think I'll try the Deep-V's with King hubs. I was originally going to go with CXP33's but I'm starting to have my doubts about Mavic. The Deep V's do weigh in at almost 600 grams though - yikes! I don't think I can use Shimano hubs because I already have ISO (6-bolt) disc brakes and I only see Center-Lock hubs on-line.