Old 11-10-07, 08:30 AM
brainsan

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro, Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel (steel), Pake Fixed/SS, Dahon Helios SL, Trek 8900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
2- I use the AZ air horn for the past year. My coldest ride was a 13 mile early morning commute last week; it was 25 F. My AZ worked just fine (it seems I use it at least 1x every ride). I'm not sure what others are talking about; operator error, maybe? There are two things to consider with the AZ: first, make sure the air bottle is up to pressure (80 psi). I inflate mine before every ride. Second, after I honk, I flip up the actuation lever. When I first got it, I didn't do this and it would remain slightly engaged, thereby letting the air pressure out. Flipping up the actuation lever is a simple solution to this little annoyance. I have honked at colleagues as they've passed me by going to work and even with the windows rolled up they say it's loud and clear in the cab. I've caught many people's attention with the AZ and won't commute without it. I believe it's 115 db.
hmm.. regarding the AZ, I might have a defective one. I usually pump mine up outside to make sure there's enough air pressure in the bottle under the temperature the horn operates in. Still, it makes only "psst.. psst.." noise in the cold. It works fine once it warms up inside.

I'm looking for a portable electronic solution as well. Anything less than the sound of a car horn is useless here in the city. Any suggestions for a small battery (under $100) that packs enough juice to power a car horn?