Old 11-10-07, 09:14 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by nmanhipot
I've broken 11 spokes this year on my cyclocross-commuter wheelset. I had the rear rebuilt with DT spokes and a Mavic CXP22 rim - 32-holes. The rim now has a nasty crack in it and I am going to need a new wheelset much sooner than later.

I think what killed my rim was running into a pothole. It seemed that once the wheel was rebuilt, it was doing OK until I hit this pothole back in September. Since then, I've replaced several spokes in the front and rear wheels and just recently noticed the crack in the rim.

I have broken just about every wheelset I've ever owned. I commute on descent/average roads year-round and need to have a set of 32 or 36-hole disc wheels built for the cross-commuter.

I'm thinking about Mavic CXP33's because of their stiffness, but I also know that they have "profiled" eyelets which do not have a rivet like a standard eyelet. I'm really, really, really tired of breaking spokes and finding cracks in my rims (cracked a rear Mavic Open Pro also) and want as close to a permanent solution as I can get. I'm leaning towards Chris King Hubs and, of course, will be using good spokes, but I really need to know if the Mavic 33's are subject to cracking, or if I should reduce spoke-count to 32 so I can use a DT 1.2 or a velocity deep V.
Not sure if you mentioned it in the thread, but how heavy are you? I'm always trying to find out correlations between wheel lifetime (MTBF if you want) and body mass.

EDIT: and +1 on the Alpine III. Most intelligently desgned spokes.