View Single Post
Old 11-10-07, 09:53 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I "suspend" mine using coat hangers thru the seat post bolt hole and the head tube, or the rear drop outs. I also use one of these can handles to keep from hurting my finger and screwing up the spray pattern. Other than that just take it light and easy, build up coats, spray in a flat sweep parallel to the frame and stop the spray past it. I have rattled canned quite a few bikes over the years with varying results.

Aaron

I use the same setup. Those triggers really help to get an even spray. I hang the frame and fork from the garage door spring and set up a couple of bicycle boxes I've opened up as "walls" to prevent overspray from covering stuff in the garage(there always seems to be a breeze on painting day).

I walk around the frame, spraying lots of light coats. After spraying on the primer, and letting it dry for at least a day, I'll wet sand with a 800 or 1000grit sandpaper. I then use a tack cloth soaked in alcohol to wipe down the frame and to speed drying.

I then paint the same way I primed; lots of thin coats. I go round and round the frame, shaking the can often. Not getting the spray can too close but not so far away most the paint misses the frame. I let the frame sit for a day or so then wet sand, wipe down, dry completely, and spray another can of paint on it.

I now have the patience to let the frame sit for a good while before adding the clearcoat. I add the decals first, then the clearcoat to seal them in. Lots of light coats as before.

After painting, hang the frame out of the way somewhere and forget about it. Start ordering parts for it or begin another project. It seems to take forever for the paint/clearcoat to harden. I suppose I could put a couple of space heaters in a closet and make it an oven.