Thread: pedals
View Single Post
Old 11-10-07, 03:05 PM
RelevantCycling
Climbing is fun!

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, 1985 custom SLX w/c-record (under construction)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
The day I read about how to throw your bike in a sprint I excitedly ran to the bike, coasted down the driveway, and "threw" the bike - and my Vans promptly rolled off my Aerolites and dumped my crotch on the rear wheel. My "stuff" got jammed between the brake and the rear wheel and I skidded to a stop.

I never practiced my bike throws on Aerolites without the right shoes again.

Other than that experience, and the one where my pedal came off with a few hundred meters to go during a huge leadout, I loved them. Problem is trying to get the cleats right. If I ever get them going again, watch out! 76 grams (for the pair, including cleats and hardware), 360 degree engagement, insane cornering clearance, soft plastic even if you dig a pedal, and virtually impossible to pull out of - a criterium racer's dream pedal. The steel ones add about 60 grams to the equation. I have a box full of pedals, cleats, and various screws and plates waiting for me to figure out a way to use it all.

cdr
+1 on Aerolites, loved them in the day - I used them back in the late '80's.. But man, if you think even a short look on KeO cleats is bad, try aerolites!

They appear to be still around - http://www.aerolitepedals.com/home.htm