Old 11-11-07, 01:32 PM
indygreg
Duathlete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new MTB - a review and n00b thoughts

I have been a roadie for a year now. Before that I was a distance runner who decided to get into Tri's.

I decided to get a MTB for a few reasons:
1. To mix up my training
2. To do some off road tri's
3. have another bike that I could a) convert into a bad weather roadie, a family ride bike, a commute bike, etc.

This post is both a review on my new bike and my start with a MTB.

I got the Motobecane Fly 9357 http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...instocknow.htm

Now . . . I used to post a decent amount on the road bike forum here any bikesdirect post started a holy war, but I have been told this forum is a bit more neutral.

Let be clear . . . my review of the bike should be taken with a grain of salt as I have no real MTB experience. Any decent bike would probably made me very happy.

Bike is light, at least according to research of what other bikes weigh. My 18" with 210 gram pedals (bebops) weighs in at around 21.75 lbs, within reason of what they advertise. Compared to my 17lbs roadie, it first felt heavy. I am not sure I want to feel what a 26lbs bike feels like.

Day 1 I put some Conti town and country tires (in a 2.1) on it for some road use. I felt like I was riding on an ATV with tires that wide!! Due to some poor planning I went to the local trails with those tires. I went to the harder of the two Indianapolis area trails (96th street) and road the loop once. It was fun and I made it through just fine, but it was a bit nerve racking to say the least. I mean, mentally I am still on a roadie and I expect every root or rock to taco my front wheel. Those tires where heavy and slow turning and did not break well on loose leaves. No, this is not shocking - just wrong tire for this.

I had fun on day 1, but it was odd.

I put the stock tires back on it (kenda klimax lite) and went to the easier trail (86th street) on day two. I had a blast! I was more comfy on the bike, had better tires, and was on easier trails. After 3 passes through I really started to get confident and has just having a blast.

MTB works your total body more than a road bike. I am sure this is obvious to all you, but I am feeling it today. I swim and strength train a lot too. At least where I was riding and how I was riding, it is not as much of a consistent led workout as a road ride. I mean, I had to coast at parts and the terrain dictated my speed more than my legs, where on a roadie your legs limit your speed nearly 100% the time.

I fell out once due to the clipless pedals. I have road clipless for a year and am used to it . .. but the difference is on a the MTB I did not always know when or where I would have to stop, or which side I would be leaning. I expect some more of this.

I will have to see where I like my seat and bars. Right now my seat is fairly high, like on my roadie, but I sometimes felt like I wanted it a bit lower as I was getting out of my saddle more than on the road.

More about the bike . .. came as described and took me about 45 minutes to get put together and ready to ride. Not too bad as I am not much of a wrench and I had never even seen disc brakes up close. Felt odd putting on the wheel and making sure that is lined up, etc. Derailers were dead on out of the box. Both disc brakes were ready to go, although I would like the rear to engage earlier. They both have plenty of power, just the rear has more distance in the pull before it engages. The twist adjustment is all the way adjusted, so I think I would have to bleed them to change this, but to be honest I have been too busy riding to research this at all.

I wonder how long these tires will last . . . they are very light and seem like they are thin. I loved how they performed though.

It is a great looking bike, and I suppose that matters some. I have learned quickly that I will be cleaning that bike more than my roadie.

I am happy with my choice to A) get a MTB and B) to get this bike.

edit - I already took back the town and country tires. They just seemed too wide heavy and slow. I got a set of Conti travel contact to try as my winter road semi slicks. They are more narrow and can take more pressure.