Motorad
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorad
... My shoulder-width is measured at 43cm. The width of my Saluki's Nitto noodle bar is 44cm, and they feel about right on club rides at moderate speeds.
Good points from everyone. Other interesting information, if you know it, is to provide your shoulder width along with the widths of your drops. I was measured when I was being fitted for my Serotta, and that's the only reason I know my shoulder width.

I'm not sure what the relation is supposed to be between the drop-bar width ... and the shoulder width. One guess is that for the racing mentality, vendors may be recommending to not have your bars exceed your shoulder width ... because of increased wind-drag at higher speeds ... if your open arms are scooping air into your chest area. But at low speeds such as winter riding, I'm wondering if it matters if the drop-bar width is greater than your shoulder width. Flat bars and risers usually do exceed your shoulder width.

So far, a possible drawback to overly-wide drop-bars is possibility to cause finger numbness? Any other drawbacks to overly-wide drop-bars?