View Single Post
Old 11-12-07, 02:12 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6217 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by jens5
Stuart. Could you, in detail describe your set-up and how you put it together?

Richard
I don't have the details for the MR16 yet because that system is in a state of flux right now. I just ordered a set of Optronics Driving lights and will be changing them out when they get here. What I currently use is a Hampton Bay pinhole back track light I got from Home Depot. I changed the wiring and added a switch to the back of the light. I also lined the back with foil tape to reduce the light coming from the back of the unit. The whole unit isn't waterproof (hence the Optronics). For a mount I used a mount off of an old Vista VL-500 lamp. It works perfectly.

For batteries, I use RC car batteries in 3.3, 3.8 and 4.5 Ah ratings. Each lamp has it's own pack (that's 4 packs all together), that are made of two 7.2V packs wired in series.

The connectors are Dean's Ultra Connectors but there are others that are easier to make up the harness. The wire is 18 ga speaker wire from Radio Shack.

I carry the batteries for the frame lamps in Cage Rockets that I can use on any bike.

The MR11 lamps are Niterider lamps which have proved very rugged for years and years.

I have several mounts and just move the lamps from bike to bike. The helmet light is another Niterider with the pack kept in a Camelbak.

The handlebar mount is either a SideTrak or the Performance SpaceBar. I did replace the original bar on both with a 1" aluminum tube which fits the light mounts better. I picked up the tubing at my local hardware store. I did widen the space bar this year to take all the stuff I want to cram on there. The MR16 lamp hangs below the bar while the Niteriders are above the space bar.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!