Old 11-12-07, 06:18 PM
chicbicyclist

Bikes: Batavus Old Dutch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Endless_BiGH
77dan - i'm also in Aus (vic 2 be exact), running two 36v 12ah batteries as 72v 12ah. this is enough to get me 30k through some very hilly areas at high (39-40kph average) speed. you are getting WAAAY too mcuh batteries. using the batteries individually meant i could get 70k+ in total at full throttle.

you'd probably also be better getting a single 48v battery pack. designed for 48v. it also keeps the weight down.

Don't even consider lead - its junk,and 36v on a 408 will bog down on hills with enough weight - you HAVE to keep peddling no matter what. i'd probably suggest a 408 motor, 35a controller (get one of the new ones - they have really good bits inside) and a 48v lithium pack. On a 36v lead setup, i had issues with hills, in that i'd slow right down to about 20kph going up them, and i'd ride around with the throttle jammed on full. at 48v it was a bit better, since 48v provided enough speed that i'd modulate the throttle a little - back off on the flat, but full throttle up hills.

72v is another story all together. the power it can put down is crazy, i've flown up some very steep hills at 45kph without an issue.

However since you're looking to carry a trailer / dog i'd highly reccomend either keeping the voltage to 48v max, possibly getting a 409 motor or 410 to provide more torque to pull the trailer but lower top speed, or getting something like a cycle anaylist to artifically limit ur max speed - so if u are pulling doggy, then you don't have to worry about going to fast.

Also i echo what everyone here has said about slicks. invest in some good ones that have puncture protection (i use specalized armadilo nimbus EX tyres) - never had a puncture flat with one. (the rim did tear into one tube due to ill fitted rim tape - but thats not the fault of the tyre).

good slicks will go you about $40-50 AUD a tyre.
I use 36 v on a tough hill, muahahahaha. Though I can only climb it one time on my lowest gears because I won't have enough power to get back home.