Old 11-13-07, 06:33 AM
FloridaBoy

Bikes: Rivendell Chevoit and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soma5
The Bianchi and the Trek you showed have significantly different geometry. Notice how the Trek's seat tube and head tube have shallower angles (are less vertical). Also notice how the tires seem to be further away from the down tube and the seat tube. The Trek is a bike that should provide a lot more comfortable ride than the Bianchi over long distances. It should also be easier to keep in a straight line - it likely won't be as "twitchy" as the Bianchi. I would say that of the two, it seems that the Trek would be a better choice for you based on what you write. The Trek has what we used to call "touring geometry." I have a bike from the '70s that is a thing of beauty and it was a road racing bike in its day but the geometry is more elongated like the Trek. I can ride it "no hands" for an indefinite time. It is rock steady and comfortable over distances. I have a bike that I got in the '90s that is a pure racing machine. It is like a sportscar: twitchy, fast, rewarding if that's the way you ride. I have to admit that I like the "sportscar" more, but I can still appreciate the qualities of the older bike. My guess is that the Bianchi would ride more like my racing machine.

-soma5
I agree with you. There is nothing wrong with a racing bike but it makes little sense to have two bikes that are too similar in geometry and most of us in the over 50 bracket will find little use for a steep angled criterium bike. http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Freeks-racefietsen/ click on the 1985 Rossin. I had an '82 in blue and it was a great bike. (I also had a Trek with tighter geometry but it was NOT a long distance ride.) The Rossin was easy to ride no hands and was quite agile. I could ride it 100 miles and not feel 'beat up'....tired yes but I did not want to shoot the bike. I sold it when I moved back to SW Florida. Yes, I miss it. The roads here are not the best, lots of sharp shell fragments, and fatter tires are the ticket. Here is a link to older Raleigh catalogs. http://www.retroraleighs.com/index.html#catalogues Check out the geometry of the racing bikes from the 70's and early 80's. They are similar to the Rossin but have eyelets for racks and fenders. IMHO, very balanced designs. 'Funny bikes' started to become mainstream after the '84 Olympics. Personally, I prefer steel frames. As Sheldon Brown sez " ya ever seen a spring made of aluminum?"