View Single Post
Old 03-20-02, 07:17 PM
Bikideshi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have really had an ongoing problem with drivers, well before I did anything but be the nice, submissive courteous, biker. I did this for 3 years. I still try. Then some idiot comes along, and you carry a bat so you are prepared for that one incident. Well, that just scares the rest of everyone. I think it also makes them want to intimidate you, so you won't use it. JUst like they try to intimidate you with attemptive murder so they never have to lose 3 seconds waiting behind a cyclist. It's all absurd. I've thought the best weapon would be a video camera, however, the logistics of this seem pretty difficult. A digital camcorder is about $800 dollars and this is the only thing I know that I can get small enough to place on the bike without hassle. I'd like to videotape this jazz I go through, to both let the world know that I am telling the truth and so I have something to use for legal action. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO DO VIDEO STUFF ON A BIKE LET ME KNOW. This stuff would get noncyclists really aware of what life is like for us. I mean, I can't even get some people to believe that there are people who kill on the road. It's too much for them. It's easier for them to blame the most vulnerable party instead of getting angry at who they should. Does anyone ever put as much scrutiny on drivers as they do on cyclists. It's just like how **** victims are blamed for **** because of what they were wearing. What I was hoping to achieve with cycling is to find some way that didn't involve anything nasty like firearms. That, in my opinion, is definately not a good solution. The bat I carry so I can whip it out behind me to give the driver who's speeding behind me, the problem of not hitting something soft should he hit me. Aikido teaches swordplay almost exclusively in blocking strikes. A staff is raised above one's head and held with both hands, to protect the head, for example. Well, I can hold the bat with both hands or one and use it to dampen the impact of a driver hitting me. It's better than praying your bone's will survive whatever cars dish out. All I know is that it can be over for you reallly quick out there. Defense is not a bad thing. It can be lied about by any ornerary driver, though, as it was in my case. The car only had a dent which recessed 1mm. That's not damage, in my book. Shopping carts leave far more ugly scars than what was left on that car. I've had deeper dents left in from people opening car doors into my car. You couldn't see anything unless you stared for 20 minutes like that cop did. I want to see shopping cart denters brought on the same charges as I was, or worse. That seems fair to me!! My friend did say, that was a stupid idea, since SUV's have flimsy side metal- it's only the frame which is sturdy. The strength of the paneling they make cars out of has changed a bit since when the one I had was built.