View Single Post
Old 03-20-02, 08:12 PM
doodad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mtb handle bar configuration

One of the LBS are selling a Gary Fisher Tassajara with discs in a discount package for US$600. Normally they are in the order of US$800.

The largest size the Tassajara comes in is a 21". I am 6'4" (but not heavy for my size) so require one of the longer frames. Because of the Genesis geometry and the longer top tube I am finding that with the seat set up high to the appropriate height for me, I am stretching a long way forward and downwards to a position what I find is fairly low and seemingly uncomfortable (I might get used to such a position?).

The LBS have gone out of their way to try and accommodate a configuration that might be suitable. They have inserted a longer and more upright stem and handle bars that are also higher. When riding the bike, I find the position more comfortable but the front appears to be lighter (eg easier to lift the front wheel in the air) and it does seem to lose some of the direct feel of its steering that the lower, flatter stem gives.

What I wanted to know was is the modification likely to cause any issues. Or, at what point does the modification compromise the performance of the bike to a point where I should be looking at alternatives.

My riding is standard off road trails and bike paths. I am looking for a good quality package with a tight feel.

I'm new to this so any feedback, comments or advice is appreciated.

cheers,