View Single Post
Old 11-16-07, 04:33 PM
old_alfie
Title-Les

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the Quad Cities Iowa / Illinois with 4 full-service bike shops and a very-busy and successful BMX-only bike shop. Not a one of those shops really _is glad_ to get my special-order business for a chain, tire, etc kind of items. I ought add that I refurb only Sturmey Archer 3-spd bikes and most of them Chicago Schwinns. Only 1 of the 4 actually adds a bit of friendliness to his politeness and he's the one who gets my wheel builds and my more-technical special orders.

Of the remaining 3 full-service shops 2 are polite but cool and the 4th, which is the local TREK Store, is downright forward aboout using terminology like "we only carry components for _upscale_ bicycles (emphasis there was the shop owner's) and can't be expected to carry a single-speed chain. That last came about when I asked them to QBP-order me a nickle plated 1/8th inch chain. I had to explain first what I meant by asking for "1/8th inch" chain.

So all of this is fine, I now lose a tad of convenience but save a wad of cash. I buy my chains, brake pads, cables and some tires from Niagara Cycle online and hold off ordering till I have a $75 order to get free shipping. Online I get a much better item price and pay no 7% sales tax. For the "upscale" saddles and bags I put on my refurbed Schwinns and other 3-spdrs, I shop carefully and watch the sales at about 25 or so online sellers. My Kenda Schwinn tires and my occasional Continental tires I get from Biketiresdirect but again, waiting till I can buy $75 worth gets me $5 shipping from them.

Bottom line, I don't get insulted or demeaned and save money as well.
alf