Old 11-18-07, 09:00 AM
joe@vwvortex

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TandemGeek
I'm toying around with picking up a second set of 'go-fast' wheels for a new tandem and I've narrowed it down to two different brands: Rolf Prima & Topolino. While the models I'm looking at are geared towards tandems (Prima Vigor Tandem & AX 3.0, respectively) I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone using any of these wheels relative to their satisfaction with the product and customer support. In this regard, single-bike users may also have some pertinent feedback.

So, here are the specific questions:

1. Whose got 'em, what's your bike's total ride-away weight, which ones do you have, are they your 'daily drivers' or are they only used for 'special occasions' and how many miles have you put on them.

2. Any problems or have they delivered flawless performance?

3. For those who have had problems, what were they and how was it resolved?

4. If you had to get a new set of wheels would you buy them again. If not, what would you get and why?

We have the 05 model of the Rolf Prima Vigor tandem wheels on our 32lb CoMo - combined rider weight is the 350lb range.

I've have had several problems with the wheels since we've owned them. First i've had a couple of the spokes front and rear come loose for no apparent reason. My initial front rim had a dip in the braking surface causing vibration under braking. I've also had issues with the rear wheel bearing adjustment loosening and creating a wobble in the rear wheel.

Each time CoMo has been great in fixing the problem - of course it meant sending the wheels back to them. They replaced the front rim and retensioned the spokes all the way around and I've not had a problem since. I do carry one of thier spoke wrenches/nut drivers though just in case.

The same with the rear hub - I don't particularly like the rear hub design - because the bearing adjustment is set by three tiny set screws. You also have to remove the disc adaptor to get to them. Again - don't know why they kept coming loose - but I had it happen twice. After the first time I tried to readjust and tighten after the second time I sent em back and they replaced all the hub parts. I've not had any problems since. The wheels are true and have worked well over the past year.

Their customer service is excellent - and their turnaround time on the fixes was very fast. Just disappointing that i've had to deal with the issues. Others I know have had problems with the bearings wearing out prematurely but I think it's the bearing adjustment which comes loose - people don't notice and then the bearing fail.

As for getting them again - not really sure as they have been fine since having them fixed by Rolf.