View Single Post
Old 11-18-07, 02:34 PM
Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good & enlighting thread. I think we agree that different methods may be better in different situations. Some of the published research might help you choose which methods may be best for which situations.

Regarding detection versus recognition as a bike, research cited in "Visibility aids for pedestrians and cyclists: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials" found some visibility aids had better detection distances but worse recognition distances.

For example, a study of flashing beacon vs. reflectors:
Detection distance: Flashing beacon= 588 m; reflectors= 444m
Recognition distance: Flashing beacon= 59 m; reflectors= 71m
Thus in this study a flashing light was detected farther away but it was recognized as a bicycle at a shorter distance than reflectors. I want to read the study's details, but I may add more reflectors for earlier recognition as a bicycle despite using a DiNotte tail light on steady+flash.

The other cited studies make me want to use reflective tires and biomotion to increase early recognition (e.g. could a DiNotte tail light be attached to the left leg?).

As I offered before, if you want details on these studies, please private message me.

Last edited by Giro; 11-18-07 at 02:49 PM. Reason: better sentence structure