View Single Post
Old 11-23-07, 04:35 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Jppe made a point. The "Best" hillclimbers seem to be the lighter riders. Not as much excess weight to carry up but bear in mind that a heavier rider will normally have stronger legs aswell so Just because you may be heavy- do not think you cannot ride hills. A light bike helps and so does gearing but you do adjust to your bike and gearing you have. My Giant is set up for hill climbing with a triple and a 28 rear sprocket- giving me a low gear of 30/28. Boreas is a lighter bike and has gearing of 34/27. When on the Giant I use the lowest gear. Boreas does not have that low gear but it still makes the same hills. Perhaps a bit faster due to the gearing but also not using a great deal of extra effort.

What you have to do is attempt the hills. Don't go out and do a 15%er as your first one- but there must be some gentle 8% slopes in your area. Don't be worried or scared of them. SKT has proved that- He has a problem with a heart rate that will run away if he does not control it- but his bigger problem is that he lives in a hilly area. Every ride he does has some big hills. Hasn't stopped him and even he has to admit that although he has to take care- He is doing hills now that a year ago he had trouble walking.

So if you want to climb hills- Stupid I know as who wants to climb hills- You have to practice them. Doesn't take long before Even Mountains are within your reach.

Spike Milligan