Old 11-24-07, 03:10 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by terry b
Small scale mfgr + happy customers + internet = cult following.

Same thing can be said about Serotta, Seven, Vanilla, Sachs and all the other big and small builders that produce a decent product and meet their customer's expectations.

There is nothing special about a TIG-welded 853 frame until it becomes very expensive and very exclusive. Then, lots of people want them. It's the same with all luxe products, low production and elevated perceived brand value equals oohs and aahs and waiting lists.

One of these days I hope to find one used, simply because I want one. I'd never consider dropping full price on a custom bike whose builder would force me to use their dealer network. It's not the kind of relationship I want if I'm doing a custom project. But I do think they're cool looking, I like steel frames and the right sub-$1000 frame will show up, eventually.

There is something that a small builder adds to his frames that a Well known big brand name cannot give. I was fortunate to get a test ride on a small European manufacturers bike earlier in the year. That ride convinced me that My Cheap giant OCR just was not good enough. Tried out a few other "Small" Manufacturers bikes and some were to my taste- and some were not.

Upshot was that I ordered the frame and forks and Built up the bike. Here is a bike that is exceptionally well made- has the right bits on for me- Is lightweight and handles better than any other bike I have tried that I can afford. The bike is a Boreas Ignis. Never heard of it? Well there are lots of small manufacturers out there like Boreas making superb Frames or bikes that you will never hear of. Just got to hunt them out.

http://www.boreas-bikes.dk/pages/ignis.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sideview.jpg (50.2 KB, 58 views)

Spike Milligan