View Single Post
Old 11-28-07, 09:58 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madfiNch
A good rule of thimb for buying a lock is to spend a minimum of 10% of what you spent on your bike. Since I don't know which Coda you got, I can't say for sure. Assuming you got the just plain Coda, you should maybe spend $40 - $50. I wouldn't buy a U/cable combo, personally. I always lock my bike with 2 separate locks - one U (Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit) and one cable (Some Master Lock thingy), each with their own lock.
As far as parking goes - when the weather's crappy (cold, rainy, etc), I park in the ramp lot 1/2 block from work. When it's nice, I just lock up right outside the door to the building. Maybe a strategy like this would work for you, too?
This is a good rule to always go by. However if this is your only bike and you rely on it a lot for transportation then spend the extra or pay the preimium (sp) for the top of the line lock. You're basically buying a longer defeat time as anything is defeatable given enough time. You could carry one good Ulock and a second lower grade Ulock or a good Ulock and a armored cable lock. A thick accessory cable is very light weight and flexible to noose the wheels or a larger object should you need to go on an errand for a quick moment. However they require the support of a lock to secure them. http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1196308575378

I think you're better off locking inside the garage to a secure object with two Ulocks to the front/back wheel and wave to the guard and make friends with him. Hey get the poor guard some snacks on the cold days.