Old 11-29-07, 10:03 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by pat5319
If you do powdercoat, BE SURE to add a clear coat of good paint, like Imron, on top to waterproof it. Powdercoats have pores in them that water can get through to rust the metal underneath causing the powdercoat to flake off.

Originally Posted by WNG
This is the first time I've heard of this.
I will need to investigate this one since I can't comprehend how powdercoats are porous. A poor prep job and or bake can result in flaking.
Poor prep is never a good idea, and a clearcoat IS a good idea!

What I've found is that powdercoating tends to pull back from sharp edges when baked. This leaves the very edge with very little material covering it, and that's where rust and delamination can start to occur.
So a couple of coats of good automotive clear and you're all set.

Bulletproof AND beautiful!

2 notes...
1) A metallic or pearl colored powdercoat must be cleared over! Either a clear PC or clear auto paint.
~The little metal or pearl flakes sit right on the surface, and if there is no clear, then cable housing etc can rub those flakes off.

2) To spray auto clear over powdercoating, the only prep you need to do is clean the frame with Wax & Grease Remover. NO sanding needed!
~The clear will chemically adhere to the PC.

And a PS...If you need to REMOVE POWDERCOATING,...it WILL come off fairly easily with chemical stripper.
The gnarlier, the better!
Wear gloves!
But it will come off, just like paint.

If you try to abrade PC with sanding, blasting, grinding etc, you can easily damage your frame.
Or wear youself out for nuthin'!

Use the chemicals!...Use the chemicals!...Use the chem.......