View Single Post
Old 11-29-07, 12:33 PM
rock_ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My new/old Dawes Galaxy

Hey dudes. On the way to the bike shop today where I was going to test-ride a £300 Ridgeback Meteor and Velocity, I found a nice red Dawes Galaxy for £75. It looked in fine condition, was shockingly light (lighter than the aforementioned Ridgebackes, I reckon), and immidiately felt quite nice to ride. I've never tried drop handle bars before but they felt good, in fact they were no lower than the bars were on my old bike, really.

I ended up buying it a few hours later, concluding that if I changed my mind I'm sure to be able to sell it on to someone who'd really like it. It feels ok so far, needs cleaning up a bit probably. The wheels are 27", I think. It says 28/32 - 630 (27 1/4 - FIFTY) on the tyres.

It has been suggested that this will pose a problem should I need to replace the wheels. Hopefully I won't have to, and perhaps if it comes to that some time then I'll sell it somewhere.

I don't know much about the bike, in fact I thought it was some kind of cheap not-very-good one when I first saw the name, but it turns out its quite a well known touring bike? Mine was guessed to be from the 80's. I don't have my camera with me now to take better pictures but here are the ones I took earlier:

Any comments? I plan to ride this 130 miles in one day, in 3 weeks time. I might get a new saddle, its very hard, I really feel the ground through it. Or maybe its meant to be like that?

Since I payed 1/4 of the price I was willing to, I can spend all kinds of money on it. But I have very little technical knowledge with bikes so I can't really do a lot.

Any comments or suggestions? Is it a good bike? Is it ****? Should I get a new one instead?

Anything at all, thanks

--Joe