View Single Post
Old 11-30-07, 09:25 AM
rock_ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
Dawes Galaxy is a classic, lugged steel, what a deal. Looks like it could do with a good clean and lube though. You might think about changing the cassette, chain and chain rings. Your wheel is 27", or 630mm, but you'll be able to use 700c, 622mm diameter wheel, tubes, however, 27" (630mm) diameter tires are not stocked by many shops. Ride with a couple of tire boots to repair your tire. At some point you might go to 700c, 622mm diameter, rims. They should work fine with a small brake alignment. This is a great project bike!!!!!
Hmm, I hadn't thought about the tubes! So its ok to use bigger tubes, or is it a bit **** but it just about works? I thought 700c was 28", wider in diameter than 27"... but you say 630mm vs 622? What do all the numbers refer to in "28/32 - 630 (27 1/4 - FIFTY)"

A project bike isn't really what I was after, but I guess it was always going to be one :/
I have absolutely no technical ability with bikes, although believe me I've tried. I set out to repair and restore my old bike, 4 or 5 months ago, and ended up completely wrecking it and quickening its demise. I don't know any bikey people in real life and my offers to volunteer at the "bike rescue" place where I got this Galaxy have not been taken up.

I'll see about changing that gear cable tonight. It needs a slight adjustment anyway, the front derailleur doesn't go out quite enough, the chain just tickles it as it goes past, on the outer ring at the front.

I'm really afraid to try to adjust the brakes or derailleurs, because every time I've tried to do it before it just wrecks the whole thing and it never goes back right. Is it a matter of endless trial-and-error?

DukeArcher - Thanks for the saddle suggestion, I'll see what my several LBS's sell