Old 12-02-07, 10:54 AM
cluelessgoon

Bikes: CrossCheck, Brompton, SpeedPro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iffacus, I know the bridge you mean. Is the quarry that incredibly steep sand/gravel slope about 100ft long with a 2 ft rain water trench running down it and tree roots all over the top? Not sure where the turret is... I can imagine the route goes down from the quarry to the big track that leads back under the railway (get some good speed up along there) and back up to the plateau. Also the steps out of the plateau are pretty steep...

I tried riding on Hartlebury common today and that was a huge boost to my confidence compared to the Malverns. I belted round a perimeter route with good long sections of tarmac, gravel, sand, grass and deep mud covered in leaves and a hill scramble carrying the bike. I went over rough stuff confidently and really felt good. Even my remounts were improved.

One problem I'm having is finding my hands being shaken off the hoods while braking for long periods coming down bumpy hills. Luckily I've mounted top levers too, but at speed it's difficult to switch to using them. Perhaps I should be braking from the drops not the hoods, I don't know.

I remember why I was always a better climber than descender now - fear! There's nothing like coming down a steep slope with both wheels locked up only to run into a rock hidden under a pile of leaves