ride

Bikes: iro / bianchi / soma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a broke student and mechanic and I can't find a <$250 track frame

Hey all,

I recently started working as a mechanic at a small bike shop in Brooklyn, and I love the job - only problem is, I don't have a bike! Mine was stolen in September. But that's okay, because since then I've learned tons about bikes and about what I want, and I don't want to ride that crappy mountain bike anymore anyway.

I'm on a tight budget so I'd like to build a fixed-gear bike right after the holiday, when I'll have a little more cash on hand. I also want to spent some quality time on a fixed-gear bike, and see how I like the experience - I rode a really nice fixie setup on a sexy De Bernardi frame and I liked it, a lot.

But I can't find a good frame for a good price. I really like the Fetish Attack frame (link), but that's $499 (I also don't love the integrated headset) (but I do love the black). Being that I don't have that much money and that I really just need a bike (and want to build one), does anyone have any recommendations on a good (hopefully light and strong) frame I can get for about $250? I'm open to all sorts of ideas.

I have been looking on eBay and craigslist, but maybe I'm just missing all the good deals.

I also was thinking of getting a Specalized Langster (the Chicago) at wholesale and selling the wheels, then using the rest as a starting point.

Thanks in advance - I appreciate the input.

Alheim