Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try commuting in Deluxe Suburbia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldorf,_Maryland

Bike lanes? Ha!
Shoulders? Ha!
A single road uncongested? Ha!

I am forced to ride within the road on my six mile commute, hovering over the solid white line on the ride side of the road. The shoulder is minimal and full of entrance/exits to franchises; completely unrideable.
I get the insulting yell multiple times a day. Some try to push me off the road, some even drive close enough to smack my elbow with their side mirrior. I have had numorous physical conflicts with SUV's full of brahs thugging it out. This is all, of course, on purpose. I am after all slowing their commute to the one of six McDonalds in Waldorf. Route-301 spans eight miles through the heart of Waldorf. We have sixteen car dealerships, two Taco Bells, six McDonalds, two Jerrys Subs and Pizza, and three KFC's; all within eight miles.

We have a wonderful Hispanic condensation though. The only other commuters I make conversation with on the way to work. It makes commuting by bicycle worth it when I can help push an elderly man on a Huffy up a steep hill with his Daughter sitting on the top tube.

I could rant for an indefinite amount of time.