Old 12-06-07, 11:11 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At a given price point, the quality of the bike shop and location of the bike shop, is more important than the decals on your bike. If you have a first-rate bike shop close to home, guys who who give you great personal service, both before and after the sale, you will enjoy any well-fitting bike in your price range.

On the other hand, if you get hung up on "brand name" or "best price" and buy from guys who don't know how to fit a bike, assemble a bike, or tune a bike, any brand of bike can be disappointing.

Visit three or four shops that are close to home. Ask lots of questions. Take some test rides. Watch closely how the staff treats you and treats other customers. Buy from the folks who prove they are most serious about customer satisfaction...even if their bike is $50 more than the bike at "Cheap Bikes R Us".

How I knew I had found the right bike shop: the owner stopped working on a $3,000 bike when I rode in with a 20 year old bike with a loose headset. After five minutes of work, he had me check the headset. It felt perfect to me. He felt it. He didn't think it felt smooth enough. He worked on it another ten minutes until he was satisfied that it was perfect. No charge. I have spent a lot of money in that shop since...good service is good business.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 12-06-07 at 11:16 AM.