View Single Post
Old 08-17-04, 09:22 AM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by astompa
So you couldn't use the Piccolo to take on the train during rush hour? Why--it didn't fit anywhere? That's a little distressing. So now you keep the piccolo locked at the train station? Don't need a folder for that!

Keep the bike between the cars? Yikes I don't think I'd do that.

So you use your Speed 8 on the weekends? How's the grease from the chain when it's folded?
I can take the Piccolo on the train during rush hour. It's perfectly legal and the conductor won't say anything providing it's folded. I don't bring it with me anymore because the office where I work is just a several blocks from the train station. Furthermore, the new office happens to be in New York City and they won't allow bikes inside. No exceptions. Locking the bike ouside in Manhanttan is more dangerous than New Jersey so the bike stays there. I don't even have to use a bicycle once I reach my destination (office is very close) and frequently find myself walking to work. I just keep a junk bike locked up for days at a time just in case.

I used to bring the folder in the train when the office was located 2 miles away but now that it's located several blocks, there's no need anymore to lug a folder through the train. I see some people with Dahon's on trains but those are individuals who have to ride several miles once exiting the station.

On SEPTA, full size bikes ride between the trains! YES! That's correct. When I took a full size bike, they would not allow it inside the cabin. It's not too dangerous because the vestibule is enclosed so the bike won't fall out. My folder never has to ride between cars and was allowed inside the cabin with no problem. If the train is packed, that might be your only option.

The chain on the Speed 8 is on the outside unfortunatly. The Piccolo and Presto models have a chain guard so your clothes won't get dirty. If you fold the bike correctly, the chain shouldn't be much of a problem. I think this is clearly overrated problem but bikes in general are clean or dirty depending on the weather and how well you maintain them.