monogodo
NFL Owner

Bikes: 7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
The $17 MTB frame is almost ready to build

Back in May I bought a $17 MTB frame. After I ordered it, I decided to see how cheaply I could build it up, since I couldn't justify paying $300+ for a build kit for a frame that cost less than $20. I debated getting a donor bike and swapping parts, but then I'd have the donor frame left over. I finally decided to use existing parts I had on hand, plus getting deals on good used parts, and finding great deals on everything else. I also decided to go single-speed, for simplicity sake.

As of right now, the only parts I have yet to obtain are a seat and brake shoes.

The total out-of-pocket cost is $129.13.

The parts list:
Code:
Frame			Top Image Neptune
Fork			Tange Steel
Headset			Cane Creek S2
Stem			K2
Handlebars		1" rise bars
Grips			Oury
Brake Levers		Avid Speed Dial 5
Brakes - F		V-brake knockoffs
Brakes - R		V-brake knockoffs
Seatpost		Titec Knock Post
Saddle	
Seatpost Collar		Weyless Pro
Bottom Bracket		Shimano BB-UN52
Cranks			Shimano 600 Ultegra
Crank Bolts		8mm Crank Bolts
Chainring Bolts		Track/MX Bolts
Chainring		Supergo 39T
Chain			SRAM 8-speed
Wheels			Shimano Deore LX hubs on Mavic 221 rims
Tires			IRC PiranhaPro 2.0
Tubes			butyl presta tubes
Brake cables		Cane Creek/Dia Compe
SS Conversion Kit	Forte SS Conversion Kit
Star nut		U.S.E. Ring-Go-Star
Bar Ends		Profile Briefs
The most expensive individual part so far was the fork. That set me back $30 plus $11 shipping. But included in the shipping were the handlebars, brakes, & levers, which were all free. The only other part that cost more than the frame was the SS conversion kit, which came to $18.39 with tax. Everything else was less than $12 individually, or was paid for with the $100 Performance Gift Card that my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas.

I did pick up a set of brakes for $10.50 on eBay that I ended up not needing, so I'm going to try to resell them on eBay. Breaking even on them will be great, but it'd be even better to come out ahead.

I'll be trying to get the headset installed tomorrow, and I'm awaiting the arrival of the bottom bracket & crank & chainring bolts, so it won't be ridable for at least a week. Once it's together, I'll take pics and post about the first ride.

Last edited by monogodo; 12-09-07 at 08:17 AM.