View Single Post
Old 12-08-07, 09:13 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Probably the best thing to do, get some business card blanks, print the name and address, web address and phone number for the national organization for that condition. When people ask stupid questions about the condition, simply state I/he/she has [name of condition] suggest they contact the organization and give them a card. The organization will be happy to send anyone information on the condition, the state of research, and why the person should make a rather sizable donation to the cause.

What I find incredible is when someone with as severe a back problem as The Historian can bicycle for thousands of miles, when the average, able bodied American needs a car to go more then 25'. Way to go Neil....
I'll probably need to do the business card routine on tour. I'm asking the National Scoliosis Foundation if I can fundraise for them.

My back is only a problem because I insist on living. If I didn't, it would be no problem at all. Seriously, my back becomes less and less of a problem as I learn to work around it.

And, believe it or not, cycling is one of the best exercises for someone with scoliosis. It's not weight-bearing, and the bike can be fitted to accommodate your structure. It also helps keep weight down, important to someone who needs to keep a straight spine. Also, often people with scoliosis have other structural problems, so running, hiking, etc, are out.