View Single Post
Old 08-17-04, 07:27 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I did my first century in June I followed the advice of our BF friends.
1. Carb load beginning a couple of days prior to the ride. Don't over do it, but like HOG-I said, pasta seems to be the norm.
2. Begin hydrating a couple of days prior as well. Don't wait until you are thirsty. Drink loads of water.
3. Oatmeal and a banana for breakfast the day of the ride. Great Call! That is what I had.
4. During the ride snack, snack, snack. I used Cliff bars. About 1/2 of one per hour. I found in my training that any more than that caused an upset stomach.
5. 2 bottles. 1 with water and one with sports drink. The sports drink is important to keep your electrolytes in balance. It also helps with the hydration process.
6. I stopped consuming solid foods after the 70 mile point. Switched to Cliff shots, sports drink and water. After 70 miles I really wasn't interested in eating solid foods. Not sure why.

I had only done one Metric Century prior to doing my Full Century. However, I am a "hard-core" bicycle commuter. I had well over 1000 miles under my belt for the year prior to doing the ride.

Oh, I did my metric and full centuries on my 1978 Raleigh Gran Prix 10 speed! You should have an easier time on something a bit newer.

EDIT: Almost forgot. Your mental preparations are just as important as your physical preparations. That is a long time to be in the saddle. On my century, the first 40 miles was into a stiff headwind. Between 80-90 was also back into that wind. Also, it was in mountainous terrain. Such a combination can cause serious mental issues while on the ride. It is amazing how one's demons can come out at the worst possible moment.
Good luck!
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia

Last edited by N7CZinMT; 08-17-04 at 07:33 PM.