Old 12-10-07, 05:08 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thea_vc
Bigbossman: If looking at the bottom bracket cup means taking anything apart, I'm not sure I can do that. Someone else asked me if the width of the bottom bracket was 68mm or 70mm too, but I am not sure where to take the measurements.
You can measure the BB shell without taking anything apart. Just flip the bike over, and (using a metric ruler) measure the BB shell from end to end. It will either be 7cm (70mm) or just shy at 68mm.

The fixed cup is usually marked on its' face, but it might be obscured behind the drive side crank (chain rings). If you look carefully and at an angle, you might be able to read it. If it is marked "35xp1", it is French. If you cannot read it that way, you'll need to remove the crankarm/chainrings to get a good look. That requires a crank removal tool, so it might not be in your power to do so.

Either measuring the shell or reading the BB mark will reveal more clues as to the bikes origin.

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 12-10-07 at 05:16 PM.