Old 12-10-07, 11:37 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Budget for your bike(s)

It's that time of the year, when, even if you can squeeze in some quality outdoor miles, those miles can be cold and treacherous.

This winter's project is my 2005 Fuji Sagres. After riding it stock for a year or so, I've added a few features this season, including a set of Nashbar Trekking handlebars - a great solution for lack of hand positions on a straight or bar-ended bar. I'm also looking into replacing the fork with a 700c-disc fork so I can then spend additional money on disc-compatible wheels (cyclo wheels?).

As you can see, this adds up (preaching to the choir). Then you enter the realm of, with all the upgrades, would you have been better off spending that money on a new ride altogether?

The bike was purchased in order to compensate to fill the big-wheeled void in my stable. I know, it's not one of the nicer bikes, but I like it and it suits my needs.

The question is, do you set forth a cycling budget each month/year, or do you fly by the chamois of your bibs when spending money on your bikes?