Old 12-11-07, 11:17 AM
redmist
outside agitator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
retro/modern italian steel (cinelli and mondonico)

hi,

i'm in the process of putting together a build. i'm a bit older than most (late 30's) and i'm not really interested in having the latest, greatest, lightest, racing bike. i'm more interested in riding the bikes i lusted after in my youth- steel, lugged, italian frames. i'm not a racer, i just like to ride- and an old-school but modern frame is more my style.

at the LBS, i spied a cinelli supercorsa and a mondonoco futura leggero in my size in the back. the owner is an ex-pro racer from the 70's-80's, and definitely one of the weirdo-types that i love when it comes to bikes. it's a small, messy, bike shop with odd-ball frames, track-stuff, lot's of wheels ready to be hand-built, and other bits laying about- not your average "starbucks-type" shop.

the cinelli supercorsa is from 2003 and was for a customer who had a chorus head-set installed, but then bailed on it and bought something more modern. the mondonico is a frame that has been sitting since 2002, and is an antonio mondonico hand-built frame. both are made from columbus neuron tubing and either are available to me at a similar price. i'm going to have them do a few of the things that i can't do (bottom bracket, etc), and the rest, i'm going to attempt to do myself. it's a nice project for me over the winter.

the question is- which one should i buy? i know i should get both , but finances say that only one will come home with me.