View Single Post
Old 08-19-04, 09:00 AM
galen_52657
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem time....!!!

Well folks,

The time has finally come…. The deadbeat has gotten off his wallet. And the new tandem is…waiting.

Purists may be aghast… but I purchased the KHS Milano steel framed tandem in the large size from Mt. Airy Bikes (a huge tandem dealer). Larry was kind enough to match the price of an internet tandem dealer.

Unfortunately, the wheels that came with the Milano were lost or sold so I have the choice to pay $150 to upgrade the wheels to Santana stock wheels and take the bike now or wait until Monday for the KHS wheels to arrive. I am still mulling that one over…..might be worth the outlay.

And…just to relate to another thread, I will be on the road for a fraction of the cost noted by ‘others’, My cost breakdown includes all the upgrades, such as the cost of my favorite saddle, a set of 180 tandem cranks I got off Ebay (for me of course), a bike carrier and swapping out the stock captain’s stem for a Look Ergo adjustable stem (fits 1” and 1/18” steering tubes – I have had this stem for several years and used it to set up my single). The Look stem is useful for bikes that have more than one rider and dialing in the position of any bike. I will most likely ditch both seat posts in favor of carbon posts in the near future, to shave a little weight without any loss of comfort. The bike weighs 42.8 lbs stock. Not too shabby when compared to the 39 lb Cannondale that costs more than twice as much. The bike comes with a suspension stoker’s post. However, the test bike at Mt. Airy had a ridged rear post and I heard no complaint from my stoker. This bike does not ride harshly.

Cost breakdown:

KHS Milano road tandem large $945.00
TA Specialties tandem crankset 180 mm $120.00
Look Ergo adjustable stem $150.00
ATOC Bike Topper tandem bike carrier $210.00
Sella San Marco Rolls saddle for my bum… $70.00

On the road and out the door including tax and shipping… $1,495.00

So, my two-seated internet friends, I hope to see you on the road….

I already have volunteer stokers…!!!