Old 12-12-07, 10:44 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by East Hill
So, kmcrawford111, did we help you come to a conclusion? Did you get your wife a bike?

East Hill
I called all of the local shops today, and one of them has this:

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?...96&childid=660

I forgot to ask what size was in stock, but if they have the larger one, there's a good chance I've found my pick. I was considering getting a single-speed bike (I found the Hello Kitty bike on eBay), but now I think that may be a poor choice, since having only 1 speed may limit her too much, especially if she intends to ride with me more than around the neighborhood. I reckon this Raleigh will be easy for her to get on and ride (again, she's a beginner), but also will be able to accomodate future rides on the (paved) trails and possibly through the city.

According to Wikipedia, "Raleigh Canada has a factory in Waterloo, Quebec, Canada (since 1972) which still mass produces over 300,000 bikes per year.[citation needed] They employ 320 people and are the last North American bicycle manufacturer of this scale.[citation needed]". I will also be supporting a local shop, so all things considered, this may be the best choice.

I also found another local bike, an Electra 3-speed cruiser (I believe it is the "Hawaii" model), but it seems like a more casual bike that may be best only for short rides, and I don't think 3 speeds isn't enough. If all she would ever do is ride around the neighborhood this might be fine, but I'm aiming for something that will be versatile.

So, (especially ladies), what do you think of the Raleigh?

Thanks again for the help!