Old 12-16-07, 02:10 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
I'd say only a VERY small amount of bent riders are truely faster than the most hardcore rider here and that is on the flats. Most of the bent riders (like many upright riders) are casual riders at best and aren't cruising at 25-29mph+ and the ones I see riding aren't even hitting 20.

With that said, I'd like to see some powertap data on a 'hardcore' bent rider.

It has already been said that it seems many "bent" riders think or turn a ride into some unsaid race only to have their ass handed to them on the climbs.

Speaking of flat vs hills....unless you live in Kansas or Florida....

I've climb my share of mountains this year and I've seen ZERO bents on them. I know bents have ridden up brasstown bald but to date...I've only read about ONE...ONE bent getting up the wall at Brasstown without getting off and the times I've been there seen ZERO making the attempt.

I'm by no means the fastest bent rider I know....... I can pick 5 or 6 guys I know off hand that live in other states that put out a bit more wattage. I've done regular 351 watt average 10k time trials with peak being 379 watt average for the same time trial. My hour average is 289 watt to 297 watt being the best I've done. I don't get my ass handed to me on climbs. I've been passed a few times here and there by small packs...... not many single riders and yes on the downhill I retake them and never see them again till the end of the ride. I'm still shooting for the 4 hour century mark solo nonstop. 4:13 has been my best on a semi hilly course........not mountains. The largest climbs I've done in Tennessee were 8 to 10% grades for 6 miles. yeah, speed between 7 to 9 mph where the stronger lighter climbers will go 9 to 11mph. Its sad though that all cycling isn't uphill now isn't it.