View Single Post
Old 12-21-07, 06:25 AM
alanbikehouston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Probably the "highest risk" situation is to be parking a bike in a rough neighborhood for hours at a time. I do most of my riding near downtown Houston, which probably the crime capitol of Texas.

If I'm going to leave a bike out of my sight for hours in downtown Houston, I combine a bunch of different security techniques:

- I ride a twenty year old bike that is scratched, dented, and beat-up looking. The bike rides as nice as a brand new $2,000 bike, but it looks like it is worth $5.

- I use the "Sheldon Brown" method and lock the rear wheel to a steel post set in concrete using a Kryptonite New York u-lock, or an OnGuard Brute u-lock. I use a second Kryptonite or OnGuard u-lock to secure the front wheel to the downtube.

- I select places where there is a lot of foot traffic. Next to the ticket booth at the movie theatre, not in the alley behind the theatre.

- Avoid most bike racks. The typical bike rack is flimsy and is weaker than your lock. I lock to thick steel poles set in concrete, looking for the thickest pole my lock will fit around.

- Park next to a brand new Trek or brand new Cannondale. Crooks are lazy and dumb, but even a dumb, lazy crack freak knows a pawn shop pays $50 for a sharp new Trek and pays nothing for a 1985 beater bike.