View Single Post
Old 12-21-07, 08:57 AM
duppie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac27
I have a chain lock and a cable lock ( I know its a pos) anyways, I want to get a second lock. First I don't know if a NYC U lock will fit around my bike and frame, I've heard its a tight fit. Also would that be the best combo or would it be better to just get 2 chains given that weight is not an issue?
Best would be a heavy duty chain and a heavy duty U lock. If you are concerned about the size, take a look at OnGuard locks. I have various ones and they perform well. Even the smallest one fitst aroung my frame and a bike rack. Strength wise they are comparable to Kryptonites
In addition to being high quality locks, the way you use them is equally important:
For a Ulock, buy the smallest size that will fit your purpose. Any bigger than necessary gives thieves the change to use a jack to break the lock.
For a chain make sure that it is hanging well away from the ground. A thief with 2 foot steel cutters will not be able to cut it using his body strength, but he may be able to cut it if can put one arm of the cutter on the floor and throw his body wieght at it

Duppie