Old 12-22-07, 04:40 PM
jimbud

Bikes: Colnago Dream, Kestrel Evoke, Giant XTC Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by decisivemoment
I don't think it's a matter of FedEx sucking in general, but I do think based on this story I won't be using FedEx for anything that needs to come through the Chattanooga area.

Here in Chicago, UPS is horrible. They reschedule deliveries, lose track of stuff, fabricate delivery attempts, and then when all else fails in their attempt to stop you from getting your package, you're reminded that picking up a package from them involves a death march through many miles of Chicago traffic to one of the tiny handful of customer facilities they have -- in my case a single vast warehouse that originates delivery routes for probably two million people but has a customer service "counter" the size of a Dunkin Donuts kiosk.

And if you want to send something here, UPS consistently charges more than FedEx. FedEx here are cheap, reliable, deliver ground packages on Saturdays, and you're never more than four or five miles from a staffed FedEx company facility.

It's all so different from where I lived in Minnesota. FedEx doesn't seem to realize the state actually does go all the way up to the Canadian border, rather than stopping at about US highway 2, while UPS service for the most part was very good in my small town, with convenient and consistent delivery times and a great local UPS store agent, so I was a UPS person up there.
Fed Ex uses sub contractors in most parts of Northern Minnesota much like a local beer distributor. Here in the Brainerd Lakes area we have a great Fed Ex contractor. They even work Saturdays if it's required. Most anyone who works for UPS will tell you the Chicago UPS sorting hub is one of Hell's portals. Things arrive there and are never seen again.

Last edited by jimbud; 12-22-07 at 04:53 PM.