View Single Post
Old 12-24-07, 09:06 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'm just a little guy here (5'-10.5 if I really draw myself up, though I think with legs on the long side), so this is somewhat off-topic, but: 20-some years ago I bought a 57 cm frame, and setting everything up according to the contemporary fit lore, I had a fair amount of seatpost showing -- more than a "hand" but not outrageous.

After not cycling for quite a few years, I got back in, and have been playing with adjustment in small increments, just based on "feel" -- keep going in one direction until it feels too much. I find that I keep raising my seat, to the point that it looks ridiculous. The amount of stem that's comfortable is even worse -- of course I'm older now and don't have the racer's back muscles (not that I ever did)!

I have a PBH of 88 by the "Rivendell" method, and by their thumbnail recommendation I should be riding a frame in the 62 range! Just got a bike in that size to try this out, but I wish I had known this awhile ago!

So: you don't really need to be a six-foot-plus-a-few guy to need a large bike. These are nice ones; good thread!