View Single Post
Old 08-23-04, 05:23 PM
Dusk
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
It broke this time right at the clamp that holds it to the derailler. It is not in a housing. It seems like it broke in about the same place the last time. Both times it broke when i was trying to tighten the cable via the thumbscrew on the shifter. It seems to me that it just runs out of cable and if i tighten it, it breaks. I will include a pic later (dead camera batteries) but basically it will just show that the cable broke right at the clamp on the front derailler. The cable was maybe 2 months sold.

The front derailler was shifting fine but the chain was rubbing on the outside of the cage so i was trying to get the front cage to move outward, providing more clearance. This was happeining using the outermost chainring and some of the outermost cogs. It is a somewhat seperate issue but my LBS put a new bottom bracket on this bike awhile back and they stated that the only one they had was a little bit wider than the original but it seemed to work ok.

So it seems that i am having issues getting the derailler to push the chain outward enough to land on the outermost cog.

s
Okay....I'm not getting soft warm feelings about your shop. Sounds like they put a BB for a triple crank in your bike and it should have been a double Do you have a double or triple? If have a double and you have a double front D and now have a triple BB you have two choices buy lost of cables or get the right BB back in the bike. The only reason to put a wider BB in a bike is if you are touring and can't wait for the right part. Even then you are going to replace the BB with the correct one ASAP.

I would only cut the shop some slack if you were yelling at them to just fix the F*@!#$*^ the first time. If so you bad!... other wise....Bad Shop...no repeat customers.

Ask yourself after breaking two cables….does it seem to work. If it wasn’t the shop manager or the owner that worked on your bike. Talk to them they will see the problem and want to get you the right BB. If it was…..the Shop manager the Owner should help. Other wise tell everyone that name of the shop and what happened. Vote with your feet! Don’t walk into the store again.