View Single Post
Old 12-29-07, 07:40 AM
classic1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duke of Kent
Well, I should have prefaced my point with a bit of background. I'm 5'7", will be around 138lbs this season, racing P/1/2. I consider myself very adept at crit racing in that I can do large amounts of work at race speed for a teammate or in a break, and I have sufficient technical skills. My main problem is that I simply get shouldered out of the way by bigger riders who want my position late in races. And, as much as I'd like to think that I can fight back, that's more than likely going to result in myself and others touching the tarmac. I can handle someone leaning on my through a corner, and do the same to others just fine, but when someone is literally a foot above me and throws a hip/elbow/shoulder, I need to move.
Its in your head. Size doesn't matter. You either have the cojones or confidence to mix it or you don't.

Robbie McEwen is only 5'7" and nobody moves him. Stephen Pate is of similar size and was racing 6'5" steriod monsters on the track and never got shifted. FWIW a lot of big guys don't like pushing shorter riders because they get underneath their elbows and handlebars.

Go and find a big arse mate and practice bumping with him out training to get the confidence to mix it in races.

As for big dudes waving elbows, just ride into their elbow. Big blokes make more noise when they hit the deck.