View Single Post
Old 12-29-07, 08:08 PM
mazdamax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric socks

Has anyone had experience with electric socks? I just purchased a pair of Nordic Gear Lectra Socks for $20 at Dick's Sporting Goods and although I haven't field-tested them yet, I have serious doubts.
The heating element in each sock has a resistance of about 1.5 Ohms, so when powered with a 1.5 volt battery, it should put out a toasty 1.5 watts. How is this enough to do anything? Since I can barely feel the warmth with my fingers, how will my toes notice it in low windchill conditions? The manufacturer claims that these socks were designed to keep the feet of North Sea fishermen warm, but I don't see how. Maybe I'm underestimating them.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a 3 volt power source without burning out the heating element?

Another thing I don't appreciate about the socks is the battery holster at the top of the sock: If the wearer is running or cycling, the weight of the heavy D-cell has a tendency to pull the sock down to ankle level. I wonder if there are any better brands in the same price range.