View Single Post
Old 12-31-07, 05:28 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Business810
Thanks Aaron. I'm a bit confused about the lineage of the saddle, because it is definitely a Brooks, and I thought Brooks only made leather saddles. It looks very much like the B.22 saddle pictured here in a 1958 Brooks catalog. It feels like leather, but it could be vinyl.

I started polishing some of the chrome, and I think it will clean up very nicely. The sun came out for a few minutes this morning, so I took her out and rode her a bit and snapped a few more photos.
Jon,

Definitely the vinyl saddle, I have at least 3 of them and they all carry the Brooks name plate. I have never seen them listed in a catalog, but don't forget that Raleigh owned Brooks at the time. I also have the same saddle in Tan and White... They are not as comfortable as the Brooks leather for longer distance riding, but they weather much better and are fine for 3-5 miles at a time.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon