Old 01-01-08, 08:25 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jacksbike
My Dad was in the bike business from 1952 until 1979. There were 2 Bike Booms: 1971-72 and 1978-9. The first one was the bike craze in which everyone had to have a 10 speed. The second one was when the price of gas skyrocketed and people bought bikes to use to commute (That did not last long). Interesting question and points about if there was a bike boom in the rest of the world. Never thought about it. We sold Schwinn, Raleigh, Fuji, Vista, Dawes and a smattering of other stuff. The Raleighs and Fujis were starting to eat Schwinn's lunch because you could buy a 28 pound bike for the same price as a 40+ pound Schwinn Varsity. This forced Schwinn to have lightweight bikes manufactured for them by Panasonic/National . The quality was there but they were really missing the boat whne all the lightweight European models begain invading the states (i.e. - Motobecane, Atala, Gitane, Fuji, Takara, Sekine, etc.) From a business point of view, the booms helped my Dad make a real living for the first time in decades. We sold everything that we could get our hands on. The inventory turnover was absolutely incredible. Seems these days that the bike business is just crawling along and it is very difficult for an independent dealer to make a decent living; just like in the 60's.
There are quite a few bike shops here in town but with Performance, Colorado Cyclist, and Bicycle Village here in town and all the Internet sales, I don't know how the independant dealers stay in business at all. Seems like a loosing proposition.