Thread: tikit Model T
View Single Post
Old 01-04-08, 10:36 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by awetmore
IThe new model T looks like a great deal. I'd probably have just bought it instead of the hyperfolding model if it were offered when I bought my bike. I like the hyperfolding, but $300 is quite a bit of savings (almost enough to convert the bike over to internal hub gears).

alex
If I was commuting to work on my Tikit with one fold/unfold either way I'd probably also go for the Model T. My major gripe with my Dahon is having to deal with 3 QRs and 3 adjustments every fold/unfold. The Model T minimizes the number of QRs down to 1 and there are no adjustments to make which is ideal.

However, I use my Tikit to run errands downtown and end up folding/unfolding it multiple times each trip. The cable systems lets me do this so fast and more importantly so easily I don't hesitate to do whatever I need to with my Tikit. With my Dahon and my full size bikes I am always weighing the hassle of folding the bike or locking it up while I run into a shop or business so I am less likely to do tangential stops besides the main errand I set out to do.

So I'd still buy the "Hyper Folding" Tikit, but I do think $300 is too much of a price jump unless they differentiate it from the Model T in some other way. Something like $150 - $175 would be more reasonable retail mark up between models.