scottbot84
Hypocritical Cyclist

Bikes: 07 Surly Steamroller, 1984 Ross 290s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
Replacing your motor vehicle with a human powered bicycle will actually cause more pollution! Your vehicle has the latest in pollution controls, you have none. I dare say that once you start riding a bicycle you will start to pollute more than your car. As you start exerting yourself your body will require more food and water. it will also start exuding body fluids and gas with no pollution controls. Consequently you will purchase more food requiring the corporate owned farms to produce more food. Producing more food requires even more chemicals be added to the soil and pesticides applied. All this stuff must be transported using petroleum fuels as well. More people riding bikes or walking to work would be an environmental disaster!
Are you my evil twin? Because I use the hackaday logo as my avatar at times(not on this forum), and you somehow know my real name!!

Sorta valid point, although I'm pretty sure you're joking. Although last time I checked I'm pretty sure I wasn't farting methane gas by the metric ton

Also I'm pretty sure caloricly speaking even if I were to eat more (which I do) i would still be better in the long run. I think I read somewhere that cycling is roughly 35 calories per mile, whereas driving is well over 1,000 calories per mile, in terms of energy usage anyways. So still works out in my ( and the environments) favor, even if you factor in pollution produced by bicycle production.

I ride a Surly, read their spew here:

http://www.surlybikes.com/spew18.html