View Single Post
Old 01-07-08, 01:12 PM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm confused. Is bicycling banned just in pedestrian-only areas, or is it banned on internal campus roadways that are open to motor vehicles?

Most campuses have internal roadways for delivery/service vehicle access to buildings. Motor vehicle access to these roads is often regulated by permit, or scarce parking may limit their use by non-permitted motor vehicles. Bicyclists are usually common on such roads. However, such roads may have poor connectivity across the campus for cross-campus travel. This encourages bicyclists to use pedestrian ways for connectivity. Is this the problem at this school?

NC State University, where I attended grad school, is bisected by a railroad line. Pedestrian paths are the most convenient routes to cross the railroad ROW, but they feature stairs down to underpass tunnels, which reduce the problem of fast bicyclists. I carried my bike up/down those stairs and walked it through the crowded tunnels several hundred times.

(edit)
After looking up the campus map on the SDSU web site, I see that it has very limited (or no) vehicular connectivity across the campus; perimeter circulation appears to be the primary vehicle access. The entire center appears to be pedestrian-only. Perhaps criss-crossing the center of campus with a couple of clearly-marked multi-use paths or speed-humped driveways would provide improved convenience for cycling. The bike parking should not be removed -that's unreasonable. Otherwise, I don't object to a requirement to walking the bike through busy pedestrian areas.

Last edited by sggoodri; 01-07-08 at 01:25 PM.