Old 01-08-08, 09:10 AM
BFG
Just say no to brakes.

Bikes: All the TGMBG mums

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, newbie to this end of Bikeforums. I'm 16, live in Western Australia and am henceforth eligible to learn to drive. I have my permit, and ive been drivin since a young age thanks to a hearty country upbringing.

But, i am a cyclist at heart and i ride everywhere, if not, i take public transport or a lift. I don't see the necessity for my own car in 12 months when i would be eligible for my Probationary licence. My mum has a Holden Astra, which i drive, but she is a good 60% car free also, so it would be available should i need to drive somewhere later. The only thing i dont like to ride to is my stand up comedy gigs - the'yre generally a fair distance away, and being such a whippersnapper mum has to come too.

I see/hear/read of some folks being restricted about being car-free by their parents, which is where i love mine because they are the complete opposite:
"Do we have to drive you? Just ride one of your bikes dammit" or something along those lines is something i got used to hearing, so i just stopped asking and now it goes something like this "Hey mum, im going to my girlfriends, and im riding there of course, ill be back before dinner." And she's happy with that - she doesn't have to drive me anywhere

It's not that i'm anti car - I just dont see a necessity for one. I ride to job interviews, heck i left my dress shoes at home once and went into the interview wearing SPD shoes. I got that job.....

Anyway, enough from me. Many happy rides ahead.