Homegrown

Bikes: A crappy old Nishiki Road Bike with a few mod's and a nice Felt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help Upgrading an 80's Univega

Hello all,
First off I would like to apologize for my general lack of knowledge in this area. I have some questions regarding upgrading a bike I recently was given as a gift. It's a Univega, I believe a Maxima Sport from the 80's. It is this exact bike(not my pic, I found it online - I hope the owner of the pic does not mind; if so please tell me and I will remove at once):

Same bike, although the color is dark blue rather than red.

Now, I would first off like to replace the fork on this bike with a threadless(I think?), fork with more modern threadless stem and whatnot. This would also entail changing the shifters as they are currently on the stem (I think they are called down tube shifters?), to the more modern shifters that are on the brake levers. Essentially I would like to replace the fork, shifters/brake levers, and the entire drivetrain. It's also important to note that I use thicker tires(they say 27x 1 1/4" on them), so tire clearance would be important as well.

I am not sure about the size of the fork I would need as it is my understanding that there are two sizes, 1" and 1 1/8". Is it even possible to upgrade in this manner?

As I mentioned earlier I would like to upgrade the entire drivetrain, is this feasible? I have a Shimano 105 drivetrain from a bike I used to have, would it be possible to put this on the bike?

I also plan on repainting the frame using a technique I found online. Basically I would sand/scrape the old paint off the frame, prime with several coats, paint with several coats, apply any decals/stickers I may want, and then apply one coat of clear lacquer. Is this correct? I am aware that it won't look quite as good as a professional paint job but it's all I can afford at the moment.

As I stated earlier I am new to this type of work on a bike, so I do apologize for the stupid questions. Thanks!!